Department: Sales and Leasing
Reports To: General Sales Manager/Vehicle Department Managers
FLSA Status: Exempt
Automobile Salesperson Job Description
Sells/leases new- and used-vehicles at dealership gross profit, volume, and customer satisfaction standards.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Satisfies the transportation needs of vehicle purchasers.
- Sells/leases and delivers a minimum of 6* units per month as established by the Sales Standards.
- Exhibits high level of commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Follows the ten “steps of a sale”.
- Approaches, greets, and offers assistance or direction to any customer who enters the dealership showroom or sales lot.
- Assists customers in selecting a vehicle by asking questions and listening carefully to their responses.
- Explains fully product performance, application, and benefits to prospects.
- Describes all optional equipment available for customer purchase.
- Offers test drives to all prospects. Follows dealership procedure to obtain proper identification and documentation from customer prior to test drive.
- Replaces and secures stock inventory on the line after test drive.
- Ensures that the sales manager has an opportunity to meet each customer.
- Utilizes dealership sales control and follow-up system.
- Knows and understands the federal, state, and local laws which govern retail automobile sales and the collection and storage of a customer’s personal/ non-public information.
- Complies with federal and company regulations regarding the collection, storage and disposal of customers personal, non-public information as designated by the Federal Trade Commission guidelines.
- Establishes personal income goals that are consistent with dealership standards of productivity, and devises a strategy to meet those goals.
- Attends product and sales training courses as requested by sales manager.
- Keeps abreast of new products, features, accessories, etc., and their benefits to customers.
- Turns over 100 percent of closed deals to finance and insurance manager, along with properly completed paperwork (insurance information, trade title, etc.).
- Writes complete sales orders and processes paperwork in accordance with established dealership policies.
- Prepares sold vehicles for customer delivery prior to customer arrival.
- Delivers vehicles to customers, ensuring that the customer understands the vehicle’s operating features, warranty, and paperwork and the importance of 100% CSI score.
- Introduces customers to service department personnel to emphasize to them the quality and efficiency of service repairs and maintenance available in the dealership’s service department.
- Follows up on all post delivery items, tag/title work, “we-owes”, and special requests to be sure that all customer expectations are met.
- Maintains the company owner follow-up system that encourages repeat and referral business and contributes to customer satisfaction.
- Maintains a prospect development system as deemed appropriate by dealership policies.
- Reviews and analyzes actions at the end of each day, week, month, and year to determine how to better utilize time and plans more effectively.
- Attends sales meetings.
- Checks the company’s designated human resource site on a bi-weekly basis and completes all required training.
- Refills the product catalogs in the brochure stands as needed.
- Maintains professional appearance.
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Knows and understands equity and values, and is able to explain depreciation to the customer.
- Schedules first service appointment.
- Maintains a neat and orderly work station area.
- Assists other salesperson when need and as directed by management.
- Assists in keeping building and lot picked up and presentable in appearance.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Driver’s License
- Manufacturer Training
- State Sales License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.